Monday, April 1, 2013

The good girl with strong Wills power!


“What! You actually saw her puffing away in public?” I asked my husband with an incredulous expression, admiring the woman-in-question’s guts. I was reacting to his claim that he had just seen a female pillion rider smoking away to glory while on the busy Bailey Road of the city. “Yeah….it surprised me too. But I reckon Patna is changing,” he replied matter-of-factly, and that was the end of it.

The next incident occurred closer home than I had anticipated. I’d gone out to meet some girlfriends at a posh hotel on a crispy Sunday afternoon. After indulging in a heady dose of gluttony (lunch preceded by flutes of cocktails, two of them knocked over the table spread), some of my friends started chanting for a smoke.

We asked the waiter about buying a pack from the hotel lounge, but decided against it when he quoted double the market price. Hence, we embarked on our girlie quest to buy cigarettes from some local paan-wallah and enjoy the pleasures of smoke while safely ensconced inside my car.

After many giggling bouts and much awkwardness (the street vendors all stared at the 5 of us when we peered surreptitiously from the car’s tinted windows and asked for a pack), we finally managed to buy one, the contents of which were soon disintegrated in a puff of smoke, literally!

That got me thinking, that tobacco disclaimers notwithstanding, why are we small-town women so scared of diluting our puritan images within the boundaries of our hometown? How many of us have smoked or boozed when we went to other states for higher studies? Or rather, how many of us have refrained from these so-called “bad habits” while left to our own devices in metro cities, unchaperoned? Not many, would be my guess.

And yet, there it was, that cosmic “dark matter” holding us back from smoking in full view that day (my friends enjoyed the sinful sticks within the car while I drove around, with the windows pulled up, obviously).

“Someone known to me will spot me”, “It does not look good”, “Why, I never touched a smoke in my life!”, and so on….these are the usual refrains one gets to hear when the topic of cigarette crops up. B/S. And you would have us believe that you stayed in New Delhi/ Mumbai/ Bangalore/ Pune and posted your semi-nude, fully-drunk party pictures on FB with alarming frequency without once giving in to the vice of smoke ‘n’ spirit?

Awww…. Come on! We can do better than this. We can be better than this. What’s wrong with giving in to our urges? At a social do, men taking drags is okay, but we like to sit back like demure li’l ladies, talking among ourselves of clothes and house and children. While some of us women may take great joy in such discussions, there are many others who would be yearning for a drag themselves but hold back just for the fear of social stigma.

Hens. That’s what we’ve become.

Inexplicable as this phenomenon is, in a city like Patna and a state like Bihar, it rules. We are prudes when it comes to being open. When stuff as mundane as smoking in public can get us all jittery, imagine the scare when choices as personal as your sexual orientation would need to be declared. Phew!

Perhaps that’s why, to me, this smoking double-standard personifies lack of personal emancipation. It’s my life, but knowing that if I declare my love for fags openly I’ll be labelled of loose morals and bad character, I choose to play my part in the game and suppress my urges.

(*Sorry to disappoint all you gossip-mongers looking to read more into the piece than what’s intended…this is a piece of fiction. Cheers!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment